Mental Health Advocacy Project
They work with people in the hospital and community and can help in a range of different situations such as:
- The Mental Health Act; including Advance Statements and Named Person
- The Adult with Incapacity Act
- The Adult Support & Protection Act
- care and treatment issues
- housing issues
- family issues
- benefit and finance issues
- criminal issues
- carers issues
Advocacy can support people with meetings and appointments and communicate on your behalf or help you to communicate with others. You may feel you need support with:
- understanding your rights if you are detained in Hospital.
- attending medical appointments or reviews
- speaking to people involved in your care and treatment
- help to find information about and help to access services
- financial matters
- attending appointments for housing, criminal etc.
- helping you know your rights
MHAP also offers collective advocacy which helps service users join together to discuss issues and take forward views that may influence change. It offers a shared voice rather than singling out individuals. It can help:
- enable people to raise awareness and influence service planning and provision
- make use of people’s shared experiences so that they can have a stronger and more influential collective voice
- address difficulties that service users are encountering with any aspect of their care and treatment, whilst affected by illness
- challenge stigma and discrimination
How To Get In Touch
Applicants for this service should also meet this condition:
Adults and young people who experience mental health and/or addiction problems and are resident in the community or in hospital in West Lothian, or in HMP Addiewell.
This service accepts direct self referrals.
Contact Info. & Service Address
189a West Main Street
Strathbrock Partnership Centre,
189a West Main Street,
Monday to Thursday: 9.00am - 5.00pm and Friday: 9.00am - 3.00pm
Provider's Name: Mental Health Advocacy Project (MHAP)
The Mental Health Advocacy Project (West Lothian) is an independent advocacy provider. MHAP provides both individual advocacy and collective advocacy. They provide a mental health advocacy service for people in hospital, for those living in the community and for residents in HMP Addiewell.